September 2017 – present
My husband and I took a break from office life to travel in the U.S., New Zealand and Southeast Asia. I’ve done bit of freelance writing on the side.
Newsletter Editor | The Seattle Times
August 2016 – August 2017
I dramatically expanded the reach of The Seattle Times’ Education Lab newsletter to meet subscriber goals that fell under an external sponsorship agreement.
- wrote weekly Education Lab newsletter; tripled audience in 12 months
- launched and wrote seasonal outdoors newsletter called Outside Guide; grew audience by 30 percent in 16 weeks
- filled in on daily Morning Brief newsletter, which serves The Times’ largest newsletter audience
- wrote occasional outdoors stories, including two Sunday magazine cover pieces
Community Engagement Editor | The Seattle Times
September 2013 – August 2016
I served as the first community engagement editor for The Times’ Education Lab project, a grant-funded initiative that’s produced in partnership with the Solutions Journalism Network.
- updated the Education Lab website, blog and social media accounts on a daily basis
- used live chats, video and social media to grow audience and engage with readers
- built strategic partnerships with external organizations representing immigrants and communities of color
- organized public events with 200+ attendees
- monitored web analytics and implemented an outcome tracker to gauge qualitative response to editorial coverage
- crafted language and provided editorial input for social-media ads and other promos
- launched and edited weekly “My Take” guest column for the Opinion section
Editor | Patch.com (Redmond, Wash.)
2010 – 2013
I launched Patch’s hyperlocal, daily news website for a prominent Seattle suburb and served as its only full-time writer and editor. In 2012, I was promoted to a new role where I produced regional content for Patch’s 15 Seattle-area sites.
- wrote short- and long-form stories, covered breaking news, shot and edited photos and video, produced website and managed social-media accounts
- experimented with reader call-outs, user-generated photos, guest blogs and other forms of community engagement
- continually tested new ways to grow site traffic, social media followers and newsletter subscribers
- marketed site to the public and developed relationships with community leaders
- managed team of freelance writers and photographers
Community Reporter | The Gazette (Laurel, Md.)
2009 – 2010
I spent a year covering breaking news, government, schools, development and all other community news in the city of Laurel and its unincorporated areas.
Copy Editor | York Daily Record/Sunday News (York, Pa.)
I designed and edited six to 10 pages each day, wrote headlines and selected wire stories for publication.
Reporting Intern | The Chronicle of Higher Education (Washington, D.C.)
Copy Editing Intern | Statesman Journal (Salem, Ore.)
Reporting Intern | St. Johns Sentinel (Portland, Ore.)
University of Portland
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English Language and Literature, minor in communications
Editor in Chief, The Beacon